Happy 2016 friends!
I know I'm a little late to the game but I've been taking my time settling into this year. I would love to say I haven't posted in a while because I have been on an exotic adventure to kick off 2016 but that couldn't be farther from the truth.
I did go down to Florida with my husband on a recruiting trip but that involved a lot of lounging, reading, working out, and more lounging. Then it was back to the regular grind of the work week followed by a relaxing weekend (more lounging, reading, and working out). I have been enjoying the calm after the chaos of the holidays and (secretly) enjoying the cozy winter weather. I haven't been in a hurry to jump into the new year.
I had plans to test out a bunch of recipes this past weekend but I got totally side-tracked by reading and lounging...too many good books, too little time! I had a totally unexpected recipe creation and success on Friday. My husband had a friend in town. Every time he comes to town, I make tacos. These tacos are nothing special but a throw back to my husband's fave childhood meal...Old El Paso tacos. While I have been cooking totally plant-based at home for the past few months, I don't think I can ever completely deprive my husband of Old El Paso tacos and funfetti cupcakes a couple times a year.
I was trying to figure out a whole food taco alternative for myself and totally hit the jackpot. Enter...cauliflower tacos (try to contain your excitement).
Why I love these tacos:
1. Cauliflower = life (and also a great meaty plant-based alternative).
2. Ease - you probably have everything in your pantry, I did when I came up with these on a whim.
3. Leftovers - I just finished eating the leftovers yesterday and may have shed a tear.
Spicy Cauliflower Tacos
Makes 4 tacos
1/2 head cauliflower
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
1/2 cup cashews
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 tablespoons lime juice
1 teaspoon sriracha (more or less depending how spicy you like it)
4 corn tortillas
Optional toppings: cilantro, guacamole, walnut taco meat (I used Oh She Glows recipe), sriracha
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut cauliflower into bite-sized florets. Toss florets with vegetable oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 20-30 minutes, stirring after 10 minutes until lightly browned.
2. While the cauliflower is roasting, place cashews and water in a high speed blender and blend on high for about 1 minute until smooth. Pour mixture into a small bowl and add garlic powder, cumin, smoked paprika, lime juice, and sriracha. Adjust seasonings to taste.
3. When cauliflower is done, in a large bowl, mix cauliflower with 1/2 of the cashew sauce. Warm corn tortillas by microwaving, covered with a paper towel, for about 30 seconds. Spoon cauliflower evenly among corn tortillas and top with desired toppings.